Saturday, March 19, 2011

2011 Sowbug Roundup a big success.

The 2011 Sowbug Roundup was a blast. If you didn’t make it you should try next year. I tied Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Just like I expected I was tying one of the “simple” flies. Sitting right behind me was Mike George and Royce Dam. Across from me were Terry Tanner and Terry Wilson. They are for sure four of the bigger names in fly tying right now. If you have never seen any of their work check it out on the Internet. It is well worth it. Terry was the 2010 Fly Tier of the year for the Southern Council and Mike George was the 2004 and 2009. Mike also won the open class of the 2010 Mustad Scandinavian Open Fly Tying Competition.  Hope you enjoy the photos.

The people at these fly tying events are so nice. You can sit down in front of them and they will explain every move they are making. I ended up giving away about 35 flies to people walking around. I know that doesn't sound like many, but I only tied for 4 hours each day and was explaining each step in the process as I went. Some people like Mike George tied for 8 hours and I noticed he only finished 1 fly. His hairbugs are a bit more complex that the BUB.

Terry Tanner showing off his Wolly Headed Sculpin

Mike George tying one of his hair bugs


Never seen Royce Dam without his hat
Terry Wilson
Okay so last is me whipping up a BUB fly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment