Sunday, June 23, 2013

PINK SQUIRREL




What the hell is a Pink Squirrel? What was one of the first things that came out of my mouth as I started planning my trip to southeast Minnesota’s “Driftless” area. Seems everywhere I looked and all the research I did, people kept talking about it. A guy I work with told ”They my be ugly, but make sure you have plenty of pink squirrels.”

They were right. Between the fly gobbling trees, root wads and fish, I must have gone through two-dozen of them in 5 days. Would have been more, but for my love a streamer fishing and the fact that the wild browns also liked Mike’s mohair leeches.

So what is a Pink Squirrel? It is a small bead-headed nymph crystal flash tail, red ribs around a natural abdomen, and a BRIGHT pink thorax. Not something you would expect to see bouncing down the river bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment