Thursday, February 3, 2011

Beware of Fisherman's' Tales

Last week I heard this viscous rumor that the annual allotment of brown trout had recently been placed into Roubidoux Creek.  So on a cold Saturday morning just a couple days later I decided to give it a try. I started my day at the island and was pretty disappointed. The stream is quickly eroding out into the cornfield and getting wider all the time. Only problem with getting wider is that it is also getting shallower. Not a fish in sight.

Nice 16 inch Rainbow
 So I decided I might want to relocate and head up stream. I parked at the conservation area and decided to work my down from there. Things started out pretty slow, but seemed to pick up as the day warmed up. I made my way downstream and all the way back to the island before it got too dark to fish. By the time it was all said and done I had landed over a dozen rainbows. They were biting pretty soft and seemed to be finicky. A cone-head olive mohair leech was the only thing they seemed to want. The largest fish I landed was this nice 16-incher, but they averaged 12 to13 inches. Even caught an 8-incher covered with par marks. Natural bred fish…maybe?

In the end it was a great day of fishing, but I am going to have to talk to my source of information. Not to mention any names, but normally the little short retired master sergeant is spot-on with her fishing rumors, but this one about the brown trout seemed to be bit embellished. I never caught a single brown all day long, but the fishing was great so I guess I’ll forgive her. Thanks for the tip Lou!



No comments:

Post a Comment