Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Get the Stink Out


If you spend any time on the water it soon becomes clear that your equipment will start to stink. I have this really great pair of TEVA sandals that I wear all the time during the summer months. After a few days on the stream though they start to get this funky smell that will not go away. I had tried every different remedy I could find and none of them ever seemed to work. Finally, I hit the jackpot and found the right combination. It will work for wading boots, water shoes, sandals, or anything else you wear in the water that starts to take on the stream side funk.

It is easy, it is simple and here it is…I will use my TEVA sandals for example:


Step one: Take a 5-gallon bucket and pour in one gallon of regular vinegar. Dip your TEVA sandals into the bucket. Make sure they are completely soaked. I always let them sit in the bucket for a couple hours at least to make sure they get completely wet.


Step two: Take your sandals out of the bucket and place them in the sun so they can dry completely.


Step three: Once they are dry, wrap them up in plastic bag like you get from Walmart and place them in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours. The plastic bag is not really necessary, but nothing freaks out the wife like opening the freezer door and seeing your sandals on top of the pot roast. My wife and I have separate (his and her) freezers, but that is another story for another day.


Step four: Take them out of the freezer and put them on. You might want to let them thaw a bit. They can be pretty cold for half hour or so. 

I wear my sandals every day during the summer and I am in the creek at least a couple times on the weekends. Over the course of the summer I probably have to do this three or four times. I know this works for me and I hope this helps you too. 

Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment